Do you really think the hype Big data is getting is really worth in current scenario?

By Romit S., BI Analyst at DEFTeam Solutions Pvt Ltd - Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Comments

Romit - it might be helpful to re-word the question. Big data technologies are not monolithic, nor are their use cases. Is there a lot of hype - you bet. Is all of it warranted - probably not. Is some of it on target - well, yes actually. Your actual sentence is also a bit confusing...

By Tom D., Big Data Solution Architecture. Program Director, Big Data Technologies focused on Hadoop / Cassandra and analytics - Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Hi Tom, I really appreciate your answer.I have 3 questions for which i wanted to know the answer. To summarize them all i have phrased my question in one line. My points were: 1. Nowadays almost every discussion is about Big data. If we see there are hardly few organizations who specially use Big Data. 2. My question is regarding current scenario. The hype that Big data is getting. Is it really worth? 3. We see so many seminars,online meetings, webinars, workshop, training etc going on in "Big data"so the gist of my question is that in present scenario and present setup of our industries let it be IT,Retail,Engg etc do we really need Big data. If we do then to what extent and if we don't (which is in majority of the cases) then why so much Hype/Buzz. In my opinion Big data is just a technology just another step in the world of data management. Regards, Romit

By Romit S., BI Analyst at DEFTeam Solutions Pvt Ltd - Thursday, January 10, 2013

IMO, Big Data in the sense of analysis is definitely not hype. The ability to help decision making accuracy by utilizing the most possible amount of "relative" past and present data is not a new phenomenon, this is been done for ages with and without IT. The idea here is much like the evolution of the PC, as technology becomes more affordable Big Data analytics becomes more attainable for all sizes of shops and industries and will continue to grow beyond commercial use, into homes such as smart grid technology to help you save on utilities to personalized medicine etc... So, I would say a question is not if its hype but what does everyone really mean when they say Big Data ?

By Hamid D., Big Data Analytics at EMC - Friday, January 11, 2013

Hi Romit, sorry for the delay in responding. I'm on customer calls all day so forgive the brief follow up here. Keep in mind that the customers I work with are typically big, aggressive and pretty technology savvy so my experiences may not be reflective of everyone here; 1. Nowadays almost every discussion is about Big data. If we see there are hardly few organizations who specially use Big Data. In terms of total Enterprises, probably true. In terms of, say, the Fortune 500 well the coverage there is actually pretty high. Probably over 50% have some sort of project going already, and my best guess is closer to 15% use one or more of these technologies on a "production" basis. I've worked with literally hundreds of customers over the past couple of years on strategies, architectures and implementations. 2. My question is regarding current scenario. The hype that Big data is getting. Is it really worth? Pet peeve of mind - with everyone having an opinion even if they've never touched these technologies. I'm especially annoyed (to be honest) with vendors that are doing the same old thing and now claiming "we're a big data player" when they clearly aren't. You'll have to make your own judgements on who those players are. What is not hype is the ability to store/process/understand much larger and varied data sets, including while they are in motion still. That can prove to be extremely useful. 3. We see so many seminars,online meetings, webinars, workshop, training etc going on in "Big data"so the gist of my question is that in present scenario and present setup of our industries let it be IT,Retail,Engg etc do we really need Big data. If we do then to what extent and if we don't (which is in majority of the cases) then why so much Hype/Buzz. In my opinion Big data is just a technology just another step in the world of data management. I'd agree, and you hit on a key point. It is a WORST practice to separate out big data as somehow not part of a core data or information strategy. More on that later if anyone is interested. Hope this helps, and sorry for being rushed.

By Tom Deutsch, Big Data Solution Architecture. Program Director, Big Data Technologies focused on Hadoop / Cassandra and analytics - Friday, January 11, 2013

Hi Tom. Your answers helped me to gain better understanding to my question. Thanks for sharing.

By Romit S., BI Analyst at DEFTeam Solutions Pvt Ltd - Friday, January 11, 2013

You are most welcome - I hope you and others here won't be shy about asking and debating topics. We are all (including me for sure) learning here and questions like yours are a great way for us to all learn together. Enjoy your weekend.

By Tom D., Big Data Solution Architecture. Program Director, Big Data Technologies focused on Hadoop / Cassandra and analytics - Friday, January 11, 2013

Tom, Was going through the lasts post. Do you think BD can be part of both Data & Information Strategy, how exactly? Data Strategy I can understand how about the Information strategy?

By Sanjay N., Senior Enterprise Architect at Oracle - Wednesday, January 16, 2013

One of the hottest new buzzwords in the industry is “Big Data” — the collection and analysis of large amounts of information in order to detect trends, personal preferences, or some other competitive advantage. These data sets are so large that their analysis may require a distributed computing grid containing hundreds or thousands of servers, using a distributed framework such as Hadoop. The attraction of Big Data is that correlating that much information has already proven to yield surprising and useful results. The potential downside is that it may pose a threat to user privacy, which could lead to legal troubles and a damaged reputation. And as with any fad, it could drain more resources from your client than what they gain in return, only to become obsolete when The Next Big Thing arrives. So, take some cautionary steps with our client's: Calm the hype. Big Data will not magically transform their business. Like any tool, it’s how you use it that counts. Define the goals. What exactly does the client hope to achieve? How can Big Data help? Or is it even the right solution? Respect user privacy. If you do decide to collect lots of data, treat it more ethically than warranted by the widespread apathy towards privacy we’re seeing these days. Tell users what data you collect, guard it from leaks into the wild, and provide users an easy and obvious way to opt out of data collection. Treat users as you would want someone to treat you — which I doubt is like a data mine.- Chip Camden advises its for all us to take a look

By Antoney B., HR MANAGER - TALENT MANAGEMENT, DEFTeam,Hyderabad - Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Hi Sanjay - thanks for the note. In short, yes, big data technologies are "just" another data management option and it is a worst practice to separate them from your overall data management planning and strategy. There is a balance act between how you deployment vs your conventional technologies to leverage how nimble they are but still have them function as production-grade systems (as we talked about on another thread). More later if useful, have to run to a customer meeting now!

By Tom D., Big Data Solution Architecture. Program Director, Big Data Technologies focused on Hadoop / Cassandra and analytics - Wednesday, January 16, 2013